Chicken and mushroom pie
- November 2017
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 min to make and 20-25 min in the oven
This gorgeous chicken and mushroom pie is topped with crisp and golden filo pastry for a reduced-calorie alternative to traditional pies.
Looking for a classic chicken pie? Check out our chicken and leek pie – you can make the filling up to 48hrs ahead.
- 14g (3.5g saturated)
- 17.7g (3.8g sugars)
- 8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any excess fat
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 500ml good-quality chicken stock
- 2 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 150g small button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100g 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 4 (each about 32cm x 18cm) fresh filo pastry sheets
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the chicken, bay leaves, onion and stock in a pan. Bring the stock to a simmer and poach the chicken for 10 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the chicken and chop into pieces. Reserve the stock.
- Meanwhile, put the leeks and 200ml water in a deep, non-stick frying pan and cook for 5 minutes, until the water has evaporated. Add the oil, thyme and mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Stir in the flour, then gradually add the chicken stock and bubble for 7-8 minutes, until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken, yogurt and mustard (if using). Season. Remove the bay leaves and pour into a 24cm x 20cm ovenproof dish.
- Brush both sides of the filo pastry sheets with egg and layer on top of the filling, scrunching the top layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is bubbling (cover with foil if the pastry is browning too much). Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken, mushroom and barley stew
Meaty mushrooms and moist chicken thighs make this easy stew recipe hearty and satisfying.
Chicken and mushroom fricassée
Transform a ready-roasted chicken into this decadent chicken and mushroom fricassée recipe.
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...