Chicken, mushroom and leek pie
- November 2017
- Serves 4
- Takes 30 min to make and 20-25 min in the oven
This gorgeous chicken, mushroom and leek pie, with a filo pastry topping, is a low-calorie option that doesn’t compromise on flavour.
Take a look at our similar recipe too, which doesn’t contain mushrooms.
- 14g (3.5g saturated)
- 17.7g (3.8g sugars)
- 8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs, trimmed of any excess fat
- 4 fresh bay leaves
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 500ml good-quality chicken stock
- 2 medium leeks, washed and sliced
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 150g small button mushrooms
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 100g 2% fat Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard (optional)
- 4 (each about 32cm x 18cm) fresh filo pastry sheets
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Put the chicken, bay leaves, onion and stock in a pan. Bring the stock to a simmer and poach the chicken for 10 minutes, until cooked through. Remove the chicken and chop into pieces. Reserve the stock.
- Meanwhile, put the leeks and 200ml water in a deep, non-stick frying pan and cook for 5 minutes, until the water has evaporated. Add the oil, thyme and mushrooms and fry for 2-3 minutes, stirring. Stir in the flour, then gradually add the chicken stock and bubble for 7-8 minutes, until thickened. Remove from the heat and stir in the chicken, yogurt and mustard (if using). Season. Remove the bay leaves and pour into a 24cm x 20cm ovenproof dish.
- Brush both sides of the filo pastry sheets with egg and layer on top of the filling, scrunching the top layer. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the filling is bubbling (cover with foil if the pastry is browning too much). Serve with seasonal vegetables.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken, mushroom and barley stew
Meaty mushrooms and moist chicken thighs make this easy stew recipe hearty and satisfying.
Chicken and mushroom fricassée
Transform a ready-roasted chicken into this decadent chicken and mushroom fricassée recipe.