Sausage, fennel and chilli griddle-pan pizza
- March 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 35 min
Wake up your tastebuds with a lazy brunch of hot-from-the-griddle-pan pizza, topped with sausage, fennel and a healthy sprinkle of chilli. Best served alongside a hot coffee, of course.
- 22.2g (9g saturated)
- 49.8g (4.7g sugars)
- 1 small fennel bulb, cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 200g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 200g greek yogurt
- 200g sausagemeat
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, lightly crushed
- 60g young leaf spinach
- 3 tbsp ricotta
- 25g parmesan, grated
- Heat a griddle/frying pan to high. Toss the fennel with 1 tbsp of the oil and griddle for 2-3 minutes on each side until charred and almost tender.
- Put the flour, baking powder and chilli flakes in a mixing bowl with a pinch of salt, then stir in the yogurt to make a shaggy dough. Use your hands to bring the dough together, then roll out to about the same size as the griddle/frying pan. Put the dough into the pan and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the sausagemeat, stirring, for 3-4 minutes until starting to brown, then add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften. Add the garlic, fennel seeds and spinach and stir for 1-2 minutes until the spinach has wilted.
- Heat the grill to medium. Spread the ricotta over the top of the flatbread and top with the spinach mixture. Dot over the griddled fennel slices and sprinkle with the parmesan. Grill for 6-8 minutes until golden and bubbling.
If you can, use proper Italian sausages, full of fennel and garlic (try Italian delis), then squeeze the meat from the casings.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Courgette flatbreads with ham, peaches and burrata
Bake easy homemade yogurt and basil flatbreads, then top with courgettes, parma ham, ripe peaches...