Cheesy sausage and mash pie
- March 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 mins
We’ve flavoured this meaty sausage and onion pie with Marmite, for a salty, tangy kick, then topped it off with cheesy mash.
We’ve got an even easier 5-ingredient sausage and mash pie you should try, too.
- 35.2g (15.2g saturated)
- 68.1g (10.7g sugars)
- 450g British outdoor-reared pork sausagemeat
- 1 sliced onion
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tbsp onion chutney
- ½ tsp Marmite
- 100ml red wine
- 1kg peeled and quartered potatoes
- Large knob of butter
- 80ml whole milk
- 100g grated cheddar
- 50ml cold beef stock
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 250ml hot beef stock
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Fry the pork sausagemeat in a shallow, hob-safe medium casserole over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes until golden, breaking up the sausagemeat with a wooden spoon. Scoop out using a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the onion to the casserole, then turn down the heat and cook for 15 minutes until lightly caramelised. Add the crushed garlic, fresh thyme leaves, onion chutney and Marmite, stir for a few minutes, then pour in the red wine. Bubble until reduced by about half. Meanwhile, put the potatoes in a large pan of water, bring to the boil, then simmer for 12-15 minutes until tender. Drain well, then mash until smooth. Stir in a large knob of butter, the whole milk, 50g of the grated cheddar and some ground black pepper.
- Mix the cold beef stock with the cornflour and add to the casserole with the hot beef stock. Stir well, bring to a simmer and cook until thickened, stirring to prevent lumps. Stir in the sausagemeat, then season to taste. Spoon the mash over the filling, sprinkle with the rest of the cheddar and bake for 30 minutes until golden and bubbling.
Make the filling and topping, cool, then assemble and chill for up to 2 days. Add 5-10 minutes to the cooking time.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Ham hock, sausage and cider raised pie
A combination of mushrooms, ham hock, sausages and cider make up the filling for this...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...