- April 2008
- Makes 12 cupcakes or 24 mini cupcakes
- Takes 20 minutes to make, plus decorating
Gently flavoured with lavender sugar, lemon or rosemary, these gorgeous mini scented cupcakes look as good as they taste.
Love a little lavender in your bakes? Try our lemon and lavender meringue roulade for your next floral baking session.
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
For the icing
- 100g icing sugar
- 4 tsp water or lemon juice
- Food colouring
- Preheat the oven at 180c/fan160c/gas 4. Line a mini cake tin with paper cases. Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat together until just smooth. Divide between paper cases and bake in the centre of the oven for 12-15 minutes (or 20-25 minutes if larger cup cakes).
- Remove from the cake tin and leave to cool on a wire rack. Mix the icing sugar with water and colour with a few drops of your desired food colouring. Ice the tops of the cup cakes and decorate as you wish.
Flavour these cup cakes with a little lemon or orange rind, vanilla, lavender sugar (used in place of the caster sugar) or a little finely chopped rosemary. Then top with pink, white or lilac icing and decorate with any of the following: crystallised rose petals or violets, sugar flowers, blueberries and rosemary or lavender flowers.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food stories, skills and tested recipes, straight to your door... Enjoy 5 issues for just £5 with our special introductory offer.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter