Pistachio and rosewater scones
- June 2016
- Makes 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 20 min
Eric Lanlard adds fragrant rosewater and pistachios to the classic British scones recipe for a Middle-Eastern spin on afternoon tea. Why not make them for your mum as a special treat on Mother’s Day?
- 12.6g (5.5g saturated)
- 42.4g (14.2g sugars)
- 225g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- ¼ tsp salt
- 75g golden caster sugar
- 50g unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tsp rosewater (from the baking section of large supermarkets)
- 150ml buttermilk
- 4 tbsp whole milk
- 50g shelled unsalted pistachios, chopped
- Beaten egg to glaze
You’ll also need…
- A 5.5cm diameter plain or fluted cookie cutter
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the salt and sugar. Rub the butter into the flour with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the rosewater.
- Combine the buttermilk and milk in a jug. Pour the liquid into the flour mixture, a little at a time, and gently mix with a table knife. Stop adding liquid just before the dough comes together (you may not need all the milk). Add the pistachios, then bring together with your hands to form a smooth, slightly sticky dough; be careful not to overwork the mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface and knead briefly (3-4 times only) to remove the cracks, then roll out until 3cm thick. Using a 5.5cm diameter cookie cutter, stamp out 6 scones, reshaping and rerolling any leftover dough. Put the scones on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with the beaten egg. Bake for 20 minutes or until well risen and golden.
- Transfer the baked scones to a wire rack to cool, then serve immediately.
If you’re not a fan of rosewater, use vanilla extract instead.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...