Smoky steak and mushroom stroganoff
- March 2018
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Our steak and mushroom stroganoff recipe can be on the table in as little as 30 minutes. Simple and tasty, it’s the perfect midweek meal.
- 19.2g (9.1g saturated)
- 6.4g (6.5g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus a glug
- Knob of butter
- 400g mixed mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 500g lean British sirloin or rump steak
- 2 tbsp smoked sweet paprika
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- Generous glug brandy or white wine
- 800ml fresh beef stock – or you can use stock made from a good quality stock pot
- 150ml soured cream
- Squeeze lemon juice
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, to serve (optional)
- Freshly cooked long grain rice to serve
- Dijon mustard to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil and butter in a non- stick frying pan over a high heat, add the mushrooms and cook until golden brown. Transfer to a plate, then add a glug more oil to the pan and cook the onion over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until softened and golden brown.
- Meanwhile, season the steaks with salt and freshly ground pepper. Heat a griddle pan and, when smoking hot, sear the steaks for 3-4 minutes on each side, then set aside to rest before slicing into chunky slivers.
- Stir the paprika, tomato purée and browned mushrooms into the onions and cook for 1-2 minutes. Pour in the brandy or wine, bring up to the boil and bubble for a minute to reduce, then add the stock and bring back to the boil. Turn down the heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes. If you prefer your steak well done, add it now with the soured cream and simmer everything for 10 minutes more. If you like your beef rare, take the pan off the heat and stir in the soured cream and steak.
- Squeeze over lemon juice, season generously, then scatter with the parsley, if using. Serve with rice and a dollop of mustard, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter