Quick beef stroganoff
- March 2016
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
You can’t go wrong with a hearty beef stroganoff. Our shortcut recipe uses rump steaks and packets of steamed rice to hurry things along.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 14.6g (4.9g saturated)
- 41g (2.1g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying
- 3 x 150g free-range British rump steaks
- 6 shallots, thinly sliced
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, quartered
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 100ml beef stock
- Juice ½ lemon, plus an extra squeeze
- 80ml half-fat crème fraîche
- Large handful fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 x 250g steamed rice (we like Tilda basmati rice)
- Set a frying pan over a high heat and add a glug of oil. When the oil is shimmering, add the steaks and fry for 2 minutes on each side. The meat should be very rare as it will cook in the sauce, too. Set the steaks aside.
- Turn the heat under the pan to low, then add the shallots and fry for 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and fry for 10 minutes more or until the mushrooms start to soften and brown.
- Stir in the mustard, stock and lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the crème fraîche and turn the heat down – don’t let it boil. Heat the rice according to the pack instructions. Slice the beef into strips, then stir it into the sauce, along with any resting juices and the parsley. Serve with the rice and an extra squeeze of lemon juice.
Rate & review