Spiced red cabbage
- December 2011
- Serves 8
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 2 hours 10-15 minutes to cook
Brighten up the Christmas table with this red cabbage side dish with warming spices.
- 6.9g (3.5g saturated)
- 11.6g (11.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 50g butter
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1kg red cabbage, quartered, core removed, shredded
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eating apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 200ml red wine
- Preheat the oven to 160ÁC/fan140ÁC/gas 3. Heat the oil and butter in a large, deep ovenproof sauté pan. Add the onion and cook gently over a low heat for 10-12 minutes until soft. Stir in the cabbage, garlic, spices, sugar, apples and vinegar. Season well.
- Pour over the wine and bring to the boil. Cover with a layer of baking paper, then a lid, and bake for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve.
Cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a pan with a splash of water and a knob of butter, the serve.
Rate & review