Spiced red cabbage
- December 2011
- Serves 8
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 2 hours 10-15 minutes to cook
Brighten up the Christmas table with this red cabbage side dish with warming spices.
- 6.9g (3.5g saturated)
- 11.6g (11.1g sugars)
- 1 tbsp oil
- 50g butter
- 1 red onion, finely sliced
- 1kg red cabbage, quartered, core removed, shredded
- 1 fat garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 star anise
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 eating apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 200ml red wine
- Preheat the oven to 160ÁC/fan140ÁC/gas 3. Heat the oil and butter in a large, deep ovenproof sauté pan. Add the onion and cook gently over a low heat for 10-12 minutes until soft. Stir in the cabbage, garlic, spices, sugar, apples and vinegar. Season well.
- Pour over the wine and bring to the boil. Cover with a layer of baking paper, then a lid, and bake for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then serve.
Cool, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 days. Reheat in a pan with a splash of water and a knob of butter, the serve.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Curried celeriac, red cabbage, pear and walnut coleslaw
”Crunchy, soft, sweet and subtly spiced, this coleslaw recipe delivers layers of texture and flavour....
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...