Spicy crumbed chicken with coleslaw
- March 2007
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 20 min, oven time 25 min
Crispy, crunchy breadcrumb-coated chicken is baked, instead of fried, for a healthier twist and served with a lighter coleslaw. It makes a brilliant midweek meal, especially alongside these homemade potato wedges.
- 32.5g (5.8g saturates)
- 33.8g (6.9g sugars)
- 30g packet fajita seasoning
- 2tbsp plain flour
- 100g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
For the coleslaw
- 4tbsp light mayonnaise
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 350g white cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 medium carrot, coarsely grated
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Line a roasting tin with foil. Divide the fajita seasoning between 2 bowls, add the flour to one and breadcrumbs to the other. Stir to mix. Beat the eggs in a third bowl.
- Toss the chicken in the flour. Dip each drumstick in the egg, then evenly in the breadcrumbs. Add to the tin, drizzle with the oil and bake for 25 minutes, turning halfway, until cooked, deep golden and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the coleslaw by mixing all the ingredients in a bowl. Season and serve with the chicken.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter