Roast chicken with creamy sauerkraut
- April 2016
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on 45 min, oven 1 hour 20 min, plus 20 min resting
Try something new for Sunday lunch – serve creamy sauerkraut flavoured with juniper berries, bacon and apple alongside roast chicken and potatoes using this recipe by Valentine Warner.
- 37.3g (20.7g saturated)
- 14.2g (12.5g sugars)
- 1.5kg free-range chicken
- 50g unsalted butter, plus 30g for frying
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme leaves, roughly chopped
- 100g British free-range smoked streaky bacon lardons
- 2 medium white onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 6 juniper berries
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 braeburn apples, peeled and coarsely grated
- 75ml gin
- 410g jar sauerkraut
- 200ml double cream
- Boiled new potatoes and dijon mustard to serve
- Heat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas 7. Put the chicken in a medium roasting tin, rub the 50g butter all over and season well with salt, pepper and thyme leaves. Roast for 20 minutes, then turn the heat down to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6 and roast for a further 50-60 minutes, basting twice, until the juices run clear when you pierce the thickest part of the thigh with a sharp knife and the skin is crisp. Rest the chicken, uncovered on a board, for about 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, melt the 30g butter in a large frying pan and fry the bacon, onions and carrots with the juniper berries and bay leaves over a medium-high heat until the onions are very soft and the bacon begins to colour.
- Add the grated apple and continue to cook for a further 5 minutes or so until the onions are golden. Pour in the gin and allow it to evaporate completely. Add the sauerkraut, then cook, stirring regularly, for 15 minutes or until the sauerkraut begins to turn golden. Pour in the cream, stir, then bring up to a gentle simmer. Taste and season. Serve the chicken and creamy sauerkraut with potatoes and dijon mustard (plus a shot of gin, chilled for an hour in the freezer) on the side.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...