Spicy sausage omelette
- April 2017
- Serves 2
- Hands-on time 25 min
Boring, flavourless eggs are a thing of the past. This filled omelette is made with spicy sausage, cheese and red pepper and served with salsa verde – that’s a breakfast worth getting out of bed for.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 44.8g (12.9g saturated)
- 13.4g (11.3g sugars)
- 1 red pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 1 medium red onion, finely sliced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- 60g sobrasada
- Small handful fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp whole milk
- 30g manchego cheese, coarsely grated
- 1 tbsp Belazu Chilli and Basil Pesto, plus extra to serve
- Heat the grill to high. Grill the pepper until blackened all over, then put into a food bag to sweat for 15 minutes. Peel off the skin, remove the seeds, then slice.
- Heat a glug of oil in an 18cm frying pan over a medium heat, then fry the onion with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes. Add the garlic and paprika and fry for another minute. Add the sobrasada and fry for 4-5 minutes until turning crisp. Stir in the parsley and chilli flakes, then transfer to a plate with the sliced pepper.
- Clean the frying pan and add a splash of oil over a medium heat. Put the eggs and milk into a medium mixing bowl and whisk briefly. When the oil is hot, pour in the eggs and cook for a minute to let the egg to start to set. Use a spatula to pull the egg into the centre and tip the pan to allow uncooked egg to flow into the space. Continue until the egg has almost all set.
- Scatter half the cheese over one half of the omelette and top with the sobrasada mixture, then add the remaining cheese. Use a fish slice to fold the omelette, then cook for a minute more. Drizzle a little pesto over the top, then turn out and serve with extra pesto alongside and lemon wedges.
Sobrasada is a soft, cured spicy paprika flavoured sausage from the Balearic Islands. It’s available from brindisa.com (or use sliced chorizo).
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Speedy smoked salmon omelette
For a healthy lunch or light supper, that’s ready in just 10 minutes, try this...