Sticky spare ribs
- February 2011
- Serves 4-6
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
Can you make spare ribs in a pressure cooker? We’re not sure who first thought to ask the question, but here’s the answer – and yes you can!
- Dairy-free recipes
- 39.1g fat (13.6g saturated)
- 47.6g protein
- 9g carbs (8.1g sugars)
- 2.3g salt
- 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 3 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 3 tbsp runny honey
- 4 spring onions, finely shredded
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1.5kg short pork spare ribs
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh coriander to serve
- Combine the first 7 ingredients in a bowl with half the spring onions.
- Heat the oil in the uncovered pressure-cooker pan over a medium heat. In batches, brown the ribs well, then remove and set aside.
- Pour away the fat and discard, then put the ribs back in the pan with the sauce. Toss to coat. Put over a medium heat, attach the lid and bring it up to pressure. Once the correct pressure has been reached, lower the heat, then cook for 15 minutes.
- Allow the pressure to drop by using the quick-release method (see manufacturer’s instructions), then take off the lid. Remove the ribs and keep warm. Pour the sauce into a small pan and bubble briskly for a couple of minutes to thicken. Serve the ribs scattered with the remaining spring onions and the coriander, with the extra sauce alongside. Bowls of water with a few lemon slices added will help clean any sticky fingers.
To cook the ribs in a conventional oven, preheat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Make the sauce as in step 1, then put the ribs and sauce in 2 roasting tins in a single layer. Toss together, then cover with foil. Roast for 45 minutes, then increase the temperature to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Roast, uncovered, for a further 45 minutes, basting with sauce, until sticky and tender.
To freeze, place in a sealable plastic container. Defrost fully before reheating until piping hot, either in the oven or on the hob. Fresh garnishes and dumplings don’t freeze well, so make or add these on the day of eating.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Sticky ribs with bean salsa and coleslaw
Get into a fine mess with this recipe for sticky ribs, great for a party...
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...