Stuffed tarragon chicken with cannellini bean stew
- March 2010
- 150g mascarpone
- 2 tbsp grated Parmesan
- Grated zest of 1 lemon, plus juice of ½ lemon
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh tarragon
- 4 chicken supremes, skin on (see tip)
- Splash of olive oil
For the bean stew
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g pack smoked bacon lardons
- 2 x 410g cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 100ml white wine
- 100ml chicken stock, hot
- Handful fresh flatleaf parsley or tarragon, chopped
- 3 tbsp crème fraîche
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/ fan180°C/gas 6. Mix together the mascarpone, Parmesan, lemon zest, a squeeze of juice, tarragon, salt and pepper. Carefully slide your finger between the skin and the meat of the chicken to create a pocket and push a quarter of the mascarpone mix under the skin. Spread evenly and repeat with the remaining chicken.
- Place the chicken in a non-stick roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil, season and roast for 25-30 minutes until cooked through.
- Meanwhile, for the stew, heat the olive oil in a pan, add the onion and fry over a medium heat until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and fry for 1 minute, then add the bacon and fry until golden. Stir in the beans and white wine and bubble over a high heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the stock, simmer for 2-3 minutes, then stir through the parsley and crème fraîche. To serve, pile the beans onto 4 plates and top with the chicken.
Buy chicken supremes from your butcher, or use chicken legs or thighs – if using thighs, you’ll need 2 per person. Serve it with Buttered cabbage and leeks followed by warm salted caramel sauce with vanilla ice cream .
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Cider chicken with creamy mushroom and anchovy sauce
Try this hearty creamy chicken recipe made with cider, mushrooms, anchovies and double cream.
Chicken, pea and bacon pies
This chicken recipe is made by using a batch of the pre-prepared, frozen Creamy chicken...