Sweet potato and barley pilaf
- October 2015
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 25 min, simmering time 20 min
Vegetarian comfort food at its best; hearty barley, sweet potatoes and tangy goat’s cheese work wonders with fresh and zesty basil and lemon dressing.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 23g (8.9g saturated)
- 90.8g (13.9g sugars)
- 700g sweet potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil, plus extra to fry and drizzle
- 1 large onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 250g pearl barley
- 750ml fresh chicken or vegetable stock (see tip)
- 1 small bunch fresh basil
- 1 lemon
- 200g spinach
- 150g soft, unrinded goat’s cheese
- Peel the sweet potatoes and cut into 1.5cm dice. Heat 3 tbsp oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Fry the diced potatoes for 15 minutes, tossing occasionally, until soft and golden. Put on a plate.
- Finely chop the onion and garlic. Put a glug of oil in the pan over a low heat, then add the onion and garlic and cook for 8 minutes until soft. Turn the heat to medium and add the barley. Stir to coat, cook for 3 minutes until it smells nutty, then add the stock. Season and cook for 15 minutes until the barley is cooked but still has some bite.
- Finely chop the basil and mix with the zest and juice of the lemon and a drizzle of oil. Season and set aside. Add the sweet potatoes to the pilaf then, after 1 minute, add the spinach and cook until wilted. Season and serve with the basil oil and crumbled cheese.
Use vegetable stock for a vegetarian meal but taste carefully and add more seasoning if needed.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
White bean and rosemary bruschetta
There are times when you need a comforting snack, and this Italian one ticks the...
Easy warm roast cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa salad
Make the most of winter vegetables in this warming cauliflower, sweet potato and quinoa recipe....
Healthy vegetarian recipes
Middle Eastern-spiced spinach and lentil soup with garlic yogurt
Make the most of seasonal spinach with this fragrant vegetarian soup recipe. For non-veggies, chicken...