Sweetcorn, asparagus and tarragon salad with caper dressing
- August 2012
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 minutes to make, 20 minutes to cook
Use chargrilled sweetcorn from the barbecue in this summertime salad recipe, with asparagus and tarragon, to add a smokiness depth of flavour.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 14.4g (7.1g saturated)
- 9.7g (2.5g sugars)
- 0.5g salt
- 2 corn cobs, any husks removed
- Olive oil for brushing
- Bunch of asparagus (about 230g), woody ends snapped off
- 2 little gem lettuces, kept whole, outer leaves discarded
- Leaves from 3 fresh tarragon sprigs
- 50g butter
- 1 tbsp baby capers (or large ones roughly chopped), drained and rinsed
- 4 tbsp (about 60ml) lemon juice
- Brush the corn cobs with oil, then barbecue until lightly charred and browned all over. Remove and, once cool enough to handle, slice off the kernels and put them in a bowl.
- Blanch the asparagus in boiling salted water for 2-3 minutes, then refresh in cold water. Drain, cut into thirds and add to the corn. Halve the little gems lengthways, then cut each half into 4 wedges and add the wedges to the sweetcorn mixture.
- Add half the tarragon to the salad and toss everything together. Just before serving, put the remaining tarragon into a small pan with the butter. Set the pan on the barbecue and cook the butter until nut brown in colour, shaking the pan from time to time. Take the pan off the heat, add the capers and leave to sizzle for 10 seconds, then add the lemon juice and a little salt and pepper. Pour over the salad, toss once more, then serve.
Make sure you use whole corn cobs for this.
Three sprigs may seem like a lot of tarragon, but it isn’t.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoky sweetcorn fritters with tarragon yogurt
Smoky sweetcorn fritters are vegetarian food done right – served warm from the pan with...
Sweetcorn, chorizo and toasted almond salad
Smokey chorizo, sweetcorn, almonds and plenty of fresh herbs come together beautifully in this summer...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...