Veggie sloppy joes with grilled halloumi
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 45 min
Give our vegetarian sloppy joes a go. The vegetable stew – made with harissa, lemon and chilli – is topped with griddled halloumi and served in brioche burger buns.
If you can, use fresh artichokes when in season.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 25.2g (13.2g saturated)
- 39.5g (18.6g sugars)
- Olive oil for frying and grilling
- 1 red onion, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 fat garlic cloves, grated
- Bunch asparagus, stalks chopped, tips reserved (see make ahead)
- 1 tbsp harissa
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried marjoram
- 390g jar artichoke hearts in water, drained (see tip)
- Grated zest and juice 1 lemon
- Handful fresh herbs (dill/basil/coriander – any or a mix; optional)
- 225g halloumi (see make ahead), cut into slices
- 1 red chilli, chopped (or a good pinch chilli flakes)
- A few fresh coriander leaves (optional)
- 4 brioche burger buns, split in half
- Mustard mayonnaise to serve (we used Maille)
- Heat a splash of olive oil in a flameproof saucepan or casserole and fry the onion, carrot and garlic with a pinch of salt for 5 minutes. Add the chopped asparagus stalks and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Stir in the harissa, tomatoes and marjoram, then cook for 15 minutes. Stir in the drained artichoke hearts, then warm through in the sauce for 10 minutes or so. Add the lemon zest and juice and fresh herbs, if using, then taste and season.
- Toss the asparagus tips and halloumi (see make ahead) in a bowl or food bag with some olive oil, the chilli and chopped coriander (if using), then cook in a griddle pan over the fire (or on a barbecue/stove) until lightly charred. Toast the buns.
- Spread the buns with mayonnaise, then spoon over the stew and top with grilled halloumi and asparagus. Top with the bun lid to serve.
Marinate the halloumi and asparagus tips at home, then pack and transport in a sealable container ready to grill.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian burger recipes
Griddled vegetable and halloumi burger with chilli yoghurt
A fuss-free, £5 midweek recipe, packed with fresh, summer flavours.
Halloumi and sweet potato burgers with chilli, mint and mashed avocado
Slices of halloumi and sweet potato are marinated, grilled and placed in burger buns spread...