Tenderstem and spring onion galettes with goat’s cheese
- April 2016
- Makes 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 25 min, plus chilling
This open-face style tart recipe is called a galette. It’s packed with fresh spring veg and plenty of goat’s cheese.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 48.2g (27.6g saturated)
- 54.6g (6.2g sugars)
- 200g tenderstem broccoli, halved (and sliced lengthways if thick)
- 8 spring onions, cut into thirds
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Cream cheese pastry
- Plain flour to dust
- 150g soft goat’s cheese or ricotta
- 1 free-range egg, beaten, to glaze
- Extra-virgin olive oil to drizzle
- To make the filling, put the broccoli and spring onions in a pan, cover with boiling water and simmer for 2-3 minutes until nearly cooked. Drain and run under cold water until cool, then pat dry and put in a mixing bowl. Drizzle with the balsamic vinegar, toss to coat and season well.
- Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface to the thickness of a £1 coin, then, using an upturned saucer as a guide, cut out 4 rough 15-17cm discs. You’ll probably need to re-roll the trimmings. Put 2 spoons of cheese/ricotta in the centre of each circle and spread a little. Divide the veg among the discs, so it surrounds but doesn’t totally cover the cheese. Leave a 2-3cm border.
- Brush the pastry border on each tart with beaten egg, then fold it over in sections, crimping it at the pleats, working your way around the galette to partially cover the veg. Brush the pastry with more beaten egg. Line 1-2 baking sheets with baking paper, put the galettes on top, then chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or until firm.
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/ gas 6. Drizzle the chilled tarts with olive oil, then bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden. If the vegetables start to blacken, cover with small discs of foil. Serve the galettes warm or leave to cool to room temperature.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Smoked haddock and spinach tart
You only need six simple ingredients to make this haddock tart recipe, making it great...
Caramelised onion tart with walnut and parmesan crust
Sweet, slow-cooked onions make this vegetarian tart recipe a real treat. The walnut and parmesan...