Terry’s Chocolate Orange cream pie
- December 2021
- Serves 10-12
- Hands-on time 30 min, plus at least 6 hours chilling
Looking for an easy make-ahead Christmas dessert? Try our luscious chocolate orange cream pie, with a choc custard filling and Oreo biscuit base.
Add some zest to your Christmas baking with our Terry’s Chocolate Orange rocky road.
- 45.6g (24.5g saturated)
- 38.4g (27.9g sugars)
- 300g Oreos
- 120g unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
- 3 platinum-grade gelatine leaves
- 500g tub fresh ready-made vanilla custard
- 100ml double cream
- 2 x Terry’s Milk Chocolate Oranges, 1½ roughly chopped, ½ reserved for the topping
For the topping
- 500ml double cream
- 2 tbsp icing sugar
You’ll also need
- 23cm loose-bottomed round tart tin
- Separate the biscuit rounds for each Oreo and scrape out and discard the cream filling. Whizz the biscuits in a food processor to make crumbs, then add the butter and a pinch of salt to make a sandy mixture. Press the crumbs into the base and up the sides of the tart tin, then chill for 2 hours.
- Soak the gelatine leaves in cold water for 5 minutes. Put the custard, cream, chopped chocolate oranges and a pinch of salt in a pan over a low heat, stirring until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth. Squeeze the water out of the gelatine and add to the custard pan off the heat, stirring to dissolve. Pour the custard filling into the chilled tart shell, cover and chill for at least 6 hours or overnight (see Make Ahead).
- When ready to serve, whip the 500ml cream with the icing sugar to soft, billowy peaks. Grate or chop the remaining chocolate orange into shards. Spoon the cream on top of the tart, sprinkle over the chocolate shards and serve.
Switch the Oreos for another chocolate biscuit like bourbons. For a richer tart, use dark chocolate oranges or a mix of milk and dark.
Make the tart to the end of step 2 up to 2 days ahead. Top with the whipped cream just before serving. Any leftovers will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 1-2 days.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...