- October 2008
- Makes about 2.5kg
- Ready in about 1 hour
Preserve the best of seasonal tomatoes by making them in to a spiced chutney to add to sandwiches, burgers or cheese.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 0.1g (trace saturated)
- 1.5kg ripe tomatoes
- 500g onions, finely chopped
- 500g bramley apples, cored and chopped
- 2 large mild red chillies, deseeded
- and finely chopped
- 2 fat garlic cloves, crushed
- 3cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 8 allspice berries
- 4 cardamom pods, bruised
- 500ml white wine or cider vinegar
- 1 fresh bay leaf
- 350g soft light brown sugar
- 2 tsp black mustard seeds
- Peel the tomatoes, chop and put into a preserving pan with the onions, apples, chillies, garlic and ginger. Wrap the peppercorns, allspice and cardamom in a square of muslin, tie securely with kitchen string (see tip, above right) and add to the pan with the vinegar and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Simmer vigorously for about 20 minutes, until reduced and thickened. Add the mustard seeds and season to taste.
- Remove the bay leaf and spice bundle, spoon into sterilised jars and seal. Cool completely.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...