Simple turkey brine recipe
- 5 mins plus overnight brine time
Take your Christmas dinner up a notch and learn how to brine a turkey, ensuring a beautifully moist texture and even more flavour, by using this simple turkey brine recipe.
For a 5kg turkey, you will need:
- 8 litres of water
- 200g table salt
- Handful black peppercorns
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Knob of thinly sliced fresh ginger
- 200g labneh or thick greek yogurt
- 250g light Muscovado sugar
- 1 orange
- 8 tbsps maple syrup
For a 5kg free-range turkey, fill a large clean plastic container with 8 litres of water.
- To create the brine, add 200g of table salt, some black peppercorns, a cinnamon stick, a knob of thinly sliced fresh ginger, 250g of light Muscovado sugar, labneh or yogurt, one whole orange (halved and squeezed) and 8 tablespoons of maple syrup to the container.
- Stir the mixture until all the salt has dissolved.
- Carefully lower your turkey into the brining solution. It should be fully submerged, so do add more water if you have to.
- Cover the container with foil or a lid and leave overnight in a cool place.
- Lift the turkey from the brine and dry with a paper towel an hour or two before it’s due to go in the oven.
Rate & review