Vanilla cookie party invitations
- July 2007
- 250g plain flour, plus extra
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125g butter, cubed and chilled
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Few drops of good vanilla extract
- 250g royal icing sugar
- Food colouring (optional)
- Small sweets, sprinkles or edible silver balls
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, then add the egg and vanilla extract and mix together – use your hands to help form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Gently roll out half the mixture using a floured rolling pin, and use cutters to cut out about 12 pretty shapes. Lift onto a baking tray using a palette knife. Repeat with the remaining dough and place on the other baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until pale golden. Cool on the trays for 10 minutes, then lift onto a wire rack using a palette knife and cool.
- To decorate the cookies, mix a little water with the icing sugar (use the packet as a guide), until it’s of a drizzling consistency. Add food colouring, if you like, then decorate the cookies with the icing and sweets. Allow to set before eating.
Write the rest of the party details on a small piece of card and attach to each cookie with a pretty ribbon. Give to your friends as an invitation for your party.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...