Vanilla cookie party invitations
- July 2007
- Makes about 24
- Hands on time 25 mins, 12-15 mins baking time, plus cooling
These vanilla cookie party invitations are quick and easy and a great children’s baking recipe.
- 250g plain flour, plus extra
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 125g butter, cubed and chilled
- 125g golden caster sugar
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Few drops of good vanilla extract
- 250g royal icing sugar
- Food colouring (optional)
- Small sweets, sprinkles or edible silver balls
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl. Rub in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, then add the egg and vanilla extract and mix together – use your hands to help form a soft dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface. Gently roll out half the mixture using a floured rolling pin, and use cutters to cut out about 12 pretty shapes. Lift onto a baking tray using a palette knife. Repeat with the remaining dough and place on the other baking tray.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until pale golden. Cool on the trays for 10 minutes, then lift onto a wire rack using a palette knife and cool.
- To decorate the cookies, mix a little water with the icing sugar (use the packet as a guide), until it’s of a drizzling consistency. Add food colouring, if you like, then decorate the cookies with the icing and sweets. Allow to set before eating.
Write the rest of the party details on a small piece of card and attach to each cookie with a pretty ribbon. Give to your friends as an invitation for your party.
Rate & review