Vanilla pannacotta with rhubarb
- March 2009
- For 2 people
- Takes 15 minutes to make, 10 minutes to cook, plus setting
Vanilla pannacotta is a creamy, melt-in-the-mouth Italian dessert. Add the tang of rhubarb and you’re guaranteed to put a smile on your amour’s face.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 54.3g (33.8g saturated)
- 53.3g (50.6g sugars)
- 1½ gelatine leaves
- 30ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds scraped
- 200ml double cream
- 1 orange
- 35g icing sugar
- 100g forced rhubarb, chopped
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- Soak the gelatine leaves in small bowl of cold water for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, place the milk, vanilla pod and seeds and half the cream in a small pan with a strip of orange zest. Gently bring to the boil and simmer for 4-5 minutes until thickened.
- Squeeze the water from the gelatine leaves and beat into the cream. Set aside to cool, then discard the vanilla pod and peel.
- Whip the remaining cream with the icing sugar until thickened, then fold into the cooled cream. Pour into 2 x 120ml dariole moulds and chill for at least 2 hours to set.
- Meanwhile, put the rhubarb in a small pan with the caster sugar and the remaining grated zest and juice from the orange. Gently heat until the rhubarb is tender, then cool.
- Dip the pannacottas in warm water, turn out onto plates and serve with the rhubarb. Vanilla shortbread is great with this.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Pannacotta with gooseberry and elderflower compote
A perfectly set, wobbling pannacotta is a wonderful thing. Served with sweet-tart gooseberry compote, to...