Vegetable hash with soft-boiled eggs
- September 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 5 minutes to make, 25 minutes to cook
This Moroccan-inspired recipe is a quick, creative supper full of spiced vegetables, topped with a soft-boiled egg.
- 16.2g (4.3g saturated)
- 26.8g (5.7g sugars)
- 500g waxy potatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A knob of butter
- 160g (1 small) diced aubergine
- 1 tsp ras el hanout spice blend
- 1 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 3 chopped fresh tomatoes
- A large handful of chopped fresh flatleaf parsley 4 large free-range eggs
- Dice 500g waxy potatoes, then cook in boiling salted water for 5 minutes. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large sauté pan. Chop 1 large red onion, then finely chop 2 garlic cloves; fry together over a medium-low heat for 5 minutes to soften. Remove with a slotted spoon and set aside. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil and a knob of butter in a pan over a medium heat. Add the drained potato, season well, and fry for 4 minutes until starting to crisp. Stir through 160g (1 small) diced aubergine and cook for 5 minutes more. Return the softened onion to the pan and add 1 tsp ras el hanout spice blend and 1 tsp hot smoked paprika. Stir for 2 minutes, then add 3 chopped fresh tomatoes. Cook for a few more minutes until the tomato begins to soften. Taste and adjust the seasoning, then stir through a large handful of chopped fresh flatleaf parsley and spoon onto plates.
- Meanwhile, lower 4 large free-range eggs into a pan of boiling water. Boil for 6 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon and run under cold water until cool enough to handle. Peel, halve and place on top of the hash. Serve immediately.
Rate & review
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter