Veggie hash with fried eggs
- March 2021
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 15 min, cooking time 30 min
This easy vegetarian recipe uses leftover mash and roasted veg to make a delicious veggie hash out of leftovers, topped with a fried egg. It’s easy to halve or even quarter if there are fewer of you in the house – and it’s as good for dinner as it is for lunch.
For more inspiration about how to rework your leftovers into a tasty lunch, browse our leftover lunch recipe collection.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 29.2g (9.8g saturated)
- 13.1g (6.9g sugars)
- 40g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced into 0.5cm rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, bashed and roughly chopped
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs or large pinch dried thyme
- 250g leftover mixed roasted veg, larger pieces diced or sliced
- 100g savoy cabbage, coarsely shredded
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 250g leftover mashed potato
- 4 large free-range eggs
- Vegetable oil or butter for frying
- Handful flatleaf parsley, roughly chopped, to serve
- Melt the 40g butter with the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan over a medium heat. Add the leek, garlic and thyme, then cook for 5-8 minutes until the leek begins to soften and take on a little colour. Add the roasted vegetables, cabbage and mustard, season well with salt and black pepper, then cook for a further 3-4 minutes until the cabbage begins to wilt.
- Add the mashed potato to the pan and mix well. Increase the heat to high and, using a wide spatula or potato masher, press down on the mixture to flatten it. Cook for 5-10 minutes on each side until crisp and golden (see tips).
- When the hash is almost ready, cook the eggs. Set another frying pan over a high heat and add a glug of vegetable oil or a knob of butter. Fry the eggs to your liking.
- Serve the hash straight from the pan alongside a fried egg and a sprinkling of parsley.
To turn the hash with ease, invert it onto a large plate, then slide it back into the pan as you would with a Spanish tortilla.
Next time, try any variety of mustard, cabbage and woody herbs in this dish.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Leftover lunch recipes
Avoid food waste AND knock yourself up a...
Working from home lunch recipes
If you're working from home at the moment,...
Vegetarian comfort food recipes
For when you need something a little more...
Vegetarian main courses
Discover an inspired range of vegetarian main courses...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...