White gravy for roast poultry
- March 2009
- Fat and juices from roast chicken
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 glass white wine
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 300ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp crème fraîche
- 1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh flatleaf parsley
- Rest the chicken on a heated serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Pour the fat and juices from the roasting tin, allow to separate, then spoon 2 tbsp of the fat back into the tin. Discard the remaining fat, so that you are left with just the meat juices.
- Add the flour to the roasting tin and briskly combine it with the fat over a medium heat for a couple of minutes. Add the white wine to the roasting tin, stir, then bubble on the hob until reduced by half. Add the pan juices and lemon zest, then gradually pour in the stock, stirring continually. Simmer for 3-4 minutes, then add any juices from the resting chicken.
- Stir in the crème fraîche and mustard, check the seasoning, then stir in the parsley. Transfer to a warm jug and serve with the roast chicken, roast potatoes and vegetables.
See our How To make gravy feature for tips.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roast chicken recipes
Roast chicken with sourdough bread sauce and gravy
Jason Atherton demonstrates how to make proper roast chicken with sourdough bread sauce and all...