Winter greens with a hot bacon and mustard dressing
- January 2016
- Serves 4 as a side
- Hands-on time 20 min
A quick winter side recipe that’s full of flavour from bacon, shallots, honey and mustard
- Dairy-free recipes
- Gluten-free recipes
- 15.2g (4.6g saturated)
- 4.6g (3.7g sugars)
- 8 British free-range smoked streaky bacon rashers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 50g finely chopped shallots
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 2 tsp clear honey
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 200g finely shredded raw greens (whatever is seasonal, such as kale, cavolo nero, shredded sprouts…)
- Finely chop the bacon rashers, then fry in the olive oil in a heavy-based frying pan until crisp and golden. Scoop out with a slotted spoon onto kitchen paper and remove all but 3 tbsp of the oil/fat.
- Add the shallots and cook gently until soft and lightly golden. Add the mustard, honey, cider vinegar and some salt and freshly ground black pepper, then whisk until bubbling.
- While still hot, toss the dressing into the raw greens along with the crispy bacon. Good with roast poultry, or with hash browns and fried eggs.
Rate & review