½ x 250g pack dried medium rice noodles (see tip)
1 medium aubergine, halved lengthways and cut into 5mm slices
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste (we like Thai Taste, from major supermarkets)
400ml can reduced-fat coconut milk
600ml chicken stock, hot
4 small, skinless chicken breasts
1 lemongrass stalk, bruised
150g sugar snap peas, halved lengthways
½ tsp soft brown sugar
Grated zest and juice of 1 lime, plus extra lime wedges to serve
Good handful fresh basil leaves
1. In a wide bowl, cover the noodles with boiling water and set aside for 5 minutes to soften. Drain, refresh in cold water and set aside.
2. Meanwhile, preheat the grill to high. Put the aubergine on a baking tray, brush with the oil and season with salt. Grill for 4-5 minutes each side, until golden. Drain on kitchen paper.
3. Stir-fry the curry paste in a large pan or wok over a medium heat for 1 minute. Stir in the coconut milk and stock and bring to a simmer. Add the chicken and lemongrass, cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked. Lift out the chicken with a slotted spoon and shred.
4. Return the chicken to the pan with the sugar snaps and aubergine. Simmer for 2 minutes, then stir in the noodles, sugar, zest and juice, and most of the basil and heat through. Season and ladle into bowls. Garnish with lime wedges and the remaining basil leaves.
- If you can’t find medium rice noodles, use ready-to-stir-fry rice noodles and add directly to the laksa in step 3.
- Wine note: A Sauvignon Blanc will stand up to these big flavours.