How to make a crystallised fruit and berries Christmas cake
Sometimes we think the old fashioned Christmas cake decorations are the best! This decorating idea is simplicity itself and creates a stunning Christmas cake in double-quick time.
You will need:
- Selection of colourful fruit and berries, such as grapes, blueberries, redcurrants, physalis and figs
- A few bay leaves
- 1 large free-range egg white, lightly whisked
- White caster sugar for coating
You will also need
- Baking paper
- Small paintbrush
- 70cm length of ribbon and some double-sided tape
1. Line a tray with baking paper. Brush the fruit and leaves all over with the lightly whisked egg white.
2. Sprinkle over the sugar (or dip the berries and fruit into the sugar) and shake off any excess. Place on the tray and leave in a warm place to dry.
3. Once dry, the fruit will keep for a few days and can be arranged on the cake on the day.
4. Wrap the ribbon around the side of the cake, securing it with a piece of double sided tape at the back.
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine this month for a half price subscriptionSubscribe