Almond and ginger rochers
- January 2008
- Makes about 20
- Hands-on time 20 minutes, plus cooling
Nuts, ginger and dried cherries combine to form these decadent treat. A drizzle of chocolate and some wrapping makes for a lovely Christmas gift.
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 50g almonds, cut into slivers
- 100g pistachios, cut into slivers
- 50g dried cherries
- 50g crystallised ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- 100g dark chocolate
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/fan 160ºC/gas 4. Mix the icing sugar, nuts, cherries and ginger together until lightly coated and spread out on a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper. Cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring halfway, until golden.
- Heat the golden syrup in a wide-based saucepan over a medium heat until bubbling. After a minute or so the syrup will start to caramelise at the edges; wait until it turns a rich brown colour, then remove from the heat. Immediately add the nut mixture and stir to coat.
- Lay out a clean sheet of non-stick baking paper and drop heaped teaspoonfuls of the mixture onto it. Leave until cool enough to handle, then use wet hands to roll into little balls.
- Melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, stirring occasionally. Scrape the melted chocolate into a strong plastic bag or disposable piping bag. Snip off 1 corner and drizzle the nut clusters with chocolate. Leave to cool and set for 20 minutes, then transfer to petit four cases. Box or wrap in cellophane and store for 1-2 weeks.
Rate & review