Aubergine and chestnut tagine with couscous
- November 2007
- Serves 6
- Ready in 1 ¼ hours
Try this aubergine and chestnut tagine recipe for a hearty and flavourful vegetarian supper.
- Vegan recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 12g (1.7g saturated)
- 66g (13.8g sugar)
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 50g dates, finely chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, grated
- 500g (about 2 small) aubergines, cut into 2cm cubes
- 600g pumpkin or squash, deseeded and cut into 3cm cubes
- 200g pack cooked, peeled chestnuts
- 2 x 400g cans good plum tomatoes
- Handful each chopped fresh mint and coriander, plus extra coriander to garnish
- Juice of 2 lemons
For the herb couscous
- 450g couscous
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 shallots, sliced
- Handful each finely chopped fresh coriander and parsley
- Heat a large saucepan over a medium heat. Add ground coriander, turmeric and cinnamon and dry-fry for 1 minute. Add the oil, onion, chilli, garlic, dates and ginger and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, until the onion is softened.
- Add the aubergines, cook for 5 minutes, then stir in the pumpkin and chestnuts to coat in the spices. Add 100ml water and the tomatoes, breaking them up into chunks, and simmer, stirring, for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, put the couscous into a bowl and season. Pour over 450ml boiling water, add half the oil and stir once. Cover and set aside for 5-10 minutes, until the couscous is tender. Fluff up the couscous with a fork.
- Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6-8 minutes or until soft and golden. Stir into the couscous with the fresh herbs. Season to taste.
- Stir the herbs and lemon juice into the tagine. Serve with the couscous.
Rate & review