- September 2008
- Serves 4
- Hands on time 1 hour
This fresh summer salad recipe is perfect for the weekend, at a party or at home.
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 9.4g (3.5g saturated)
- 27g (7.4g sugars)
- 2 medium or 4 small beetroot
- 2 or 3 waxy potatoes
- 100g fresh shelled peas
- 100g baby carrots
- ½ small cauliflower, picked into florets
- 100g green beans, sliced
- 3 large free-range eggs
- 2 dill pickled gherkins or a handful cornichons, diced
- 3 heaped tbsp mayonnaise
- Small bunch of fresh dill (optional)
- Boil the beetroot in a pan of salted water for 20-30 minutes, until tender. Cool a little, then push the skins off with a thumb and forefinger, then cut into dice.
- Meanwhile, peel and dice the potatoes to the same size as the beets. Boil in a pan of lightly salted water until tender. Allow the spuds and beets to cool completely.
- Now blanch the peas, carrots, cauliflower and beans. Use the same pan in succession rather than several (it saves on washing up!) but blanch the cauliflower last, as it will flavour the water. Drain and cool.
- Finally, cook the eggs in boiling salted water for 7 minutes. Plunge them into a bowl of cold water, then peel and halve.
- Mix the pickle with all the vegetables and fold them into the mayonnaise in a bowl. Season and top with dill sprigs and the eggs.
Rate & review