Balsamic braised red cabbage
- December 2007
- Serves 8
- Prep time 15 min, cooking time 3 hours
The magic of this braised red cabbage recipe is all in the wait. Cook low and slow for three hours until tender, succulent and gorgeously sweet.
Now, check out all our red cabbage recipes for more ideas including in coleslaw, soups and salads.
- Vegan recipes
- 3.1g (1.7g saturated)
- 20.3g (18.3g sugar)
- 1 (about 900g) red cabbage
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 450g Bramley apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 40g raisins
- 4 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp dark muscovado sugar
- 25g butter
- ½ tsp ground mixed spice
- Small handful fresh flatleaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- Cut the cabbage in half and cut out the core. Thinly slice the cabbage and put into a large casserole with a tight-fitting lid.
- Add the onions, apples, raisins, vinegar, sugar, butter and mixed spice, season well and mix together. Place over a low heat, cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 hours, until tender and wilted down. Scatter with the parsley to serve.
Make the recipe, then freeze for up to 1 month. Defrost at room temperature, then reheat slowly.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Red cabbage recipes
Braised red cabbage with apple & mustard vinaigrette
Any roast is made all the better with Thomasina Miers’ braised red cabbage recipe. The...