Braised red cabbage, merguez sausages and lentils
- February 2014
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, oven time 1½-2 hours
Merguez sausages are made from lamb or beef and usually contain harissa, cumin and fennel. Combined with red cabbage and lentils this dish is packed full of flavour and makes a beautiful, colourful meal.
- 23.5g (7.4g saturated)
- 35.9g (15.8g sugars)
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 small red cabbage (about 1kg), finely sliced
- 1 eating apple, grated
- 1 tbsp soft light brown sugar
- 60ml white wine vinegar
- 120ml dry cider
- 2 tbsp redcurrant jelly
- Good grating of fresh nutmeg
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 200g puy lentils
- 750ml chicken stock
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 10-12 merguez sausages (or cooking chorizo)
- Handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- Heat the oven to 160°C/fan140°C/gas 3. Combine the onion, cabbage and apple in a flameproof casserole. In a jug, mix the sugar, vinegar, cider and redcurrant jelly, then pour over the cabbage. Add the nutmeg and cinnamon stick, season well, then bring to a simmer over a low heat. Cover and transfer to the oven for 1½-2 hours until tender.
- Meanwhile, cook the lentils in a pan with the stock (or enough water to cover them) for 15-20 minutes, covered, until tender, then drain.
- While the lentils are cooking, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the sausages for 8-10 minutes, turning regularly, until just cooked. Remove from the pan with tongs, leaving the fat behind, then slice each into 3 pieces, diagonally. Mix into the cooked lentils and set aside.
- Remove the cabbage from the oven and stir through the lentils, sliced merguez and parsley. Taste, adjust the seasoning and serve.
For a change, you could also use cooking chorizo.
Make this up to 3 days in advance and chill – the vinegar will keep it fresh and the flavours will mellow.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Lentil and bacon stew
Lentils are a true storecupboard staple. Put them to hearty use in this delicious lentil...
Red cabbage recipes
Braised red cabbage with apple & mustard vinaigrette
Any roast is made all the better with Thomasina Miers’ braised red cabbage recipe. The...