Beetroot and red cabbage soup
- December 2017
- Serves 4-6
- Hands-on time 45 min, simmering time 30 min
This vibrant bowlful is special enough to ring the changes and serve to friends, with sausage rolls or crusty bread on the side.
- 4.5g (0.8g saturated)
- 10.1g (8.9g sugars)
- Glug olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp caraway seeds
- 1 fat garlic clove, sliced
- 350g (peeled weight) raw beetroot, sliced or chopped
- ½ red cabbage (350g), core removed, leaves shredded
- 1.5 litres beef or chicken stock (or use a stock pot or cube)
- Soured cream, chopped fresh dill, lemon zest strips and sausage rolls or crusty bread to serve
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan with a lid and gently fry the onion, celery and carrot with a pinch of salt for 10 minutes to soften.
- Stir in the fennel seeds, caraway seeds and garlic, cook for a minute until aromatic, then add the beetroot and cabbage and season with salt and pepper. Pour in the stock, then stir to mix. Put the lid on, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat (put the lid on slightly at an angle) and simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- Once all the vegetables are tender, use a stick blender to whizz the soup in the pan until smooth. Or cool the soup a little, then pour into a food processor or blender (with the small central cap removed and the hole covered with a folded tea towel) and process until smooth – you may need to do this in batches. If you want an ultra smooth soup, push it through a sieve using the back of a large spoon or ladle.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a swirl of soured cream, sprinkled with chopped fresh dill and strips of lemon zest, with warm sausage rolls or bread on the side.
Serve in espresso cups for an easy party canapé. If you prefer a thicker soup add a chopped potato with the beetroot and cabbage (step 2) or reduce the stock by 250ml.
Freeze portions in food bags for up to 6 months. Defrost, then heat until piping hot.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Beetroot, vodka and soured cream soup
This eastern European-influenced beetroot soup recipe looks impressive and tastes amazing.