Baobab butter and rosemary corn cobs
- September 2018
- Serves 6
- Hands-on time 35 min, plus chilling
”Baobab, the raw fruit from the baobab tree (or monkey bread tree, as it’s known across parts of Africa) is packed with nutrients. It’s the only fruit in the world that dries on the branch, producing a natural fruit powder with a floral citrussy profile.” – Zoe Adjonyoh
- Gluten-free recipes
- Vegetarian recipes
- 19g (11.1g saturated)
- 8g (2.1g sugars)
- 6 corn cobs
- 6 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Sea salt flakes
For the baobab butter
- 125g salted butter, softened
- Finely grated zest and juice ½ lime
- 1 tsp ground hot pepper or cayenne
- 1 tbsp baobab powder (see Know-how)
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch coarse ground black pepper
- For the baobab butter, whisk all the ingredients together in a bowl until combined. Lay 2 sheets of cling film on a clean work surface, then spoon the baobab butter on top, in a line. Roll the cling film tightly around the butter to form a rough cylinder, then pinch the ends of the cling film and roll the butter tightly to form a compact log shape. Twist the ends to enclose, then chill for at least 1 hour until firm (see Make Ahead).
- Cook the corn cobs in a large pan of boiling salted water for 5-6 minutes until just tender. Drain and cool, then put each cob on a separate sheet of foil. Slice the butter into 6 equal pieces and add one piece to each piece of corn, along with a rosemary sprig and a pinch of sea salt flakes. Wrap the foil tightly around the corn to seal as a parcel.
- Heat a griddle pan or frying pan to high, then put the foil-wrapped corn in the pan and cook, turning,for 10-15 minutes. Remove and serve straightaway.
The butter will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to a month.
Baobab powder is derived from the dried white pulp of the baobab fruit. It’s high in vitamins and antioxidants and the high fibre content makes it beneficial for a healthy gut. It’s available from some larger supermarkets, online at Ocado or Amazon, or from health food shops such as Holland & Barrett.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Roasted sweetcorn soup with curry-spiced butter
Debbie Major uses curry butter to spice up this roasted sweetcorn soup recipe.