Basil and Parmesan stuffed chicken
- June 2005
- for 4 people
- Takes 55 minutes to make
A recipe of basil and parmesan stuffed chicken. Cook this in a kettle barbecue or alternatively roast it.
Per leg: 291kcals, 18.1g fat (5.3g saturated), 31.3g protein, 0.7g carbs, 0.1g sugar, 0.5g salt
- 50g fresh basil
- 40g fresh Parmesan, grated
- Splash of olive oil
- 4 chicken legs, skin on
- Vegetable oil, for brushing
- Put the fresh basil, grated Parmesan and a splash of olive oil into a mini food processor and blend until finely chopped.
- Cut off any excess fat from the chicken legs, then work your fingers under the skins to loosen them from the flesh of the thigh and drumstick. Divide the basil mixture between the chicken legs and work it up under the skin, distributing evenly. Season well.
- Brush the cooking grate of a kettle barbecue with oil. Cook the chicken legs indirectly over a medium heat source for 20 minutes, then turn and cook for a further 20-25 minutes until tender and the juices run clear. Remove the chicken and allow to rest for 5 minutes. Serve with grilled peppers and a rocket salad.
Supermarket out of fresh basil? Don’t worry – just stir the freshly grated Parmesan into two tablespoons of pesto from a jar and use the mixture to stuff the chicken legs.
Also, the chicken can alternatively be roasted in the oven at 180°C/fan160°C/gas 4 for 35 minutes, and finished off on an open barbecue for 10 minutes, turning once.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Chicken breast recipes
Stuffed chicken breasts with stir-fried kale and hazelnuts
Chicken breasts are stuffed with garlic, tarragon and mascarpone before...
Stuffed chicken with cabbage and bacon
This cheesy stuffed chicken recipe benefits from a side order...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter