Beans and greens on toast with chorizo and egg
- September 2019
- Serves 1
- Hands-on time 20 min
Give beans on toast a smart upgrade with added greens and a spicy Spanish kick.
Or go meat-free with fried eggs on toast with grilled peppers and aioli.
- 33.6g (9.5g saturated)
- 44.2g (8.7g sugars)
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus a splash extra
- 50g cooking chorizo, skinned and chopped
- 1 banana shallot, finely chopped
- 3 runner (or helda) beans, sliced
- 2 fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 75g tinned cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 medium free-range egg
- Handful spinach or prepared kale
- 2 small sourdough slices, toasted
- Large pinch pul biber (mild chilli flakes) or sumac to serve – optional
- Heat a little oil in a small pan and fry the chorizo for 3-4 minutes over a medium-high heat. Once the chorizo starts to release its oil, add the shallot and helda/runner beans, then cook for 4-5 minutes more
or until the veg have softened.
- Add the tomatoes with a splash of water, season with salt and pepper, then simmer for 5 minutes until reduced and thickened. Stir in the cannellini beans and check the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, heat the 1 tbsp olive oil in a non-stick frying pan and fry the egg to your liking. Stir the spinach/kale into the chorizo/beans to wilt in the heat of the sauce.
- Serve the beans and greens on sourdough toast, topped with the fried egg. Sprinkle with pul biber or sumac, if you like.
Rate & review