Fried eggs on toast with grilled peppers and aioli
- June 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 30 min
Spice up your brunch game and top toasts with fried eggs, sweet peppers, creamy aioli and a sprinkling of green chilli. Tip: swap the toast for warm naan breads to take this dish to the next level.
Is a classic brunch dish more your style? See our recipe for avocado, bacon and fried eggs on toast.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 33.7g (7.9g saturated)
- 24.4g (6.9g sugars)
- 3 halved and deseeded mixed sweet peppers
- 1½ tbsp oil
- 1 sliced green chilli
- 1 tsp nigella seeds
- 4 medium free-range eggs
- 8 tbsp ready-made aioli (from large supermarkets)
- 4 tbsp soured cream
- 4 slices of toast
- Watercress, to serve
- Heat a grill or griddle pan over a medium-high heat. Toss the peppers with 1 tbsp oil and a sprinkle of salt, then grill/griddle for 5 minutes on each side until lightly charred and softened. Meanwhile, heat ½ tbsp oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and fry the green chilli for 2 minutes until golden at the edges, then add the nigella seeds. Transfer to a bowl.
- Return the frying pan to the heat and fry each egg until crisp and cooked to your taste. Mix the aioli in a bowl with the soured cream and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the mix over each of toast, top with 1-2 pieces of charred pepper and a fried egg, then scatter with the green chilli mix and watercress to serve.
Serve this egg dish on naan breads instead of toast, if you like.
Rate & review