Beef and chestnut sausage roll
- March 2012
- Serves 6
- Hands on time 25 minutes, cook time 40 minutes
A giant beef and chestnut sausage roll – made with chestnuts, blue cheese and caramelised onion chutney – makes a great centrepiece for a party buffet. It’s easy to prepare too.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 shallots
- 500g beef mince
- 60g cooked chestnuts
- 50g mild blue cheese
- 40g fresh breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp of caramelised onion chutney
- A bunch of fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ medium free-range egg
- 375g puff pastry
- Sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan180°C/gas 6. Heat the vegetable oil and soften the shallots. Remove and cool.
- Mix with the beef mince, chestnuts, blue cheese, breadcrumbs, caramelised onion chutney, parsley and egg.
- Trim the puff pastry sheet to 18cm x 32cm. Shape the mince into a 30cm sausage. Lay on the pastry. Brush the long pastry edge with beaten egg, then bring the pastry over to seal. Score lines on top, brush with more egg, sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 40 minutes.
Rate & review