Giant sausage roll
- November 2017
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, oven time 30-35 min
Forget mini sausage rolls, make way for this giant sausage roll made with onions, mushrooms and fennel seeds. A recipe guaranteed to please the whole family and it’s fun for the kids to get involved with, too.
Looking for the traditional version? We’ve got lots of sausage roll recipes for you to browse.
- 43.2g (16.6g saturated)
- 39.8g (2.9g sugars)
- Olive oil
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 250g finely chopped mushrooms
- Bunch of chopped fresh dill
- 400g sausagemeat
- 320g ready-rolled puff pastry
- 1 beaten free-range egg
- Heat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas 6. Heat a pan with a glug of olive oil and fry the fennel seeds for a minute.
- Add the chopped onion and mushrooms, then fry for 10 minutes on a high heat, stirring until browned. Tip into a large bowl with a bunch of chopped fresh dill and the sausagemeat. Season and mix to combine.
- Unroll the ready-rolled puff pastry onto a board. Put the sausagemeat lengthways down the middle of the pastry, then cut the pastry into strips, at right angles to the sausagemeat, all the way down. Cross the strips in a lattice over the sausagemeat to cover it. Transfer the plait to a baking sheet lined with non-stick baking paper, brush with the beaten egg, then bake for 30-35 minutes.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...