Beef and bean burgers
- February 2020
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min
We’ve given you the option to choose which route you take with these easy burgers. Go 50/50 and try our beef and bean recipe or, if you want to go completely meat-free, swap the beef for an extra can of kidney beans, a mashed sweet potato and a handful of fresh breadcrumbs.
- 20.5g (3g saturated)
- 38.6g (5g sugars)
- 400g can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 300g British beef mince (5 per cent fat)
- 6 spring onions, roughly chopped
- Grated zest 1 lemon
- 2 tsp paprika
- 5 tbsp mayonnaise (see tip)
- 4 seeded burger buns
- Oil for brushing
- 1 tsp dijon mustard to taste
- 50g sliced gherkins, plus extra to serve
- Mixed baby salad leaves or lettuce to serve
You’ll also need…
- Food processor
- Whizz together the beans, beef, spring onions, lemon zest, paprika and 1 tbsp mayonnaise in a food processor. Season, divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, then use your hands to form into burgers.
- Heat a griddle pan until hot, toast the buns, then set aside. Brush each burger with oil, then griddle for 4-5 minutes on each side.
- Mix the remaining mayo, mustard and 50g gherkins in a bowl and season with black pepper. Serve the burgers in the buns with the mayo, salad leaves and extra gherkins.
Make it veggie/vegan: if you want a 100 per cent bean burger (that’s also vegan) swap the beef for an extra can of kidney beans, a mashed sweet potato and a handful of fresh breadcrumbs. Replace the regular mayo with a vegan variety.
Rate & review