Brie beef burgers
- August 2010
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 min to make, 20 min to cook, plus chilling
Why have beef burgers when you can have brie and bacon beef burgers? Kids and adults alike love this cheesy-meaty flavour combination.
- 66.7g (23.3g saturated)
- 29g (5.2g sugar)
- 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 200g bacon lardons
- 500g beef mince
- Small handful of fresh flatleaf parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp English mustard
- 1 medium free-range egg, lightly whisked
- 150g ripe Brie
- 4 ciabatta rolls, halved
- Handful of rocket, 2 sliced tomatoes and fresh mayonnaise to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frying pan over a low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes to soften, then transfer to a large bowl using a slotted spoon. Increase the heat, add the bacon and fry until starting to crisp. Add to the onion and allow to cool.
- Add the beef mince to the bowl, together with the parsley, mustard, some seasoning and enough egg to bind. With damp hands, form the mixture into 4 burgers, place on a plate lined with baking paper, then chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the burgers over a medium heat for 5-6 minutes on each side. Remove to a baking sheet, top with the Brie and grill for 2-3 minutes until melted. Drizzle the cut sides of the rolls with a little oil and grill alongside the burgers until golden.
- Serve each burger in a toasted bun with peppery rocket, tomato slices and a dollop of mayonnaise.
For another recipe turn the burger mixture into a ragù to serve with pasta. Fry the onion and garlic until soft, add the bacon and mince, then fry until brown. Stir in some chopped tomatoes and a splash of stock, then simmer until tender. Scatter over torn Brie and chopped fresh parsley.
To freeze: open-freeze the uncooked burgers on a baking sheet, then pop them into sealable freezer bags. Defrost thoroughly before cooking.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Spicy salami, roasted pepper and taleggio frittata
An easy but very tasty frittata recipe made with spicy salami, roasted peppers and taleggio...