Beef meatballs with tagliatelle
- January 2013
- Serves 2
- Takes 10 minutes to make, 30-40 minutes to cook
Umami paste adds some va va voom to this quick and easy beef meatballs with pasta recipe for two people.
Take a look at our fab baked meatballs with garlic baguettes too.
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra
- 400g pack beef meatballs
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 tsp umami paste
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of caster sugar
- 250g fresh egg tagliatelle
- Fresh basil leaves to serve
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and fry the meatballs until browned all over. Remove and set aside. Add a little more oil if needed, then add the onion and cook gently for a few minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the garlic and umami paste, then cook for another 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped tomatoes to the pan with the sugar, season and bring to a gentle simmer, then return the meatballs and any juices to the pan. Bring back to a simmer, cover and bubble very gently for 20-25 minutes until the meatballs are cooked through and the sauce is thick and rich.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta according to the pack instructions in generously salted water. Drain, reserving a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water to stir through the sauce, then toss with the sauce and meatballs. Serve topped with basil leaves and an extra drizzle of olive oil.
Add ground cumin, coriander and chopped fresh chilli to the sauce. Serve the meatballs with rice and fresh coriander
Freeze the cooled, cooked meatballs in the tomato sauce. Pop into freezer bags, then keep in the freezer for up to a month. Defrost and reheat thoroughly before stirring through cooked pasta.
Rate & review