Beetroot and goat’s cheese parcels
- December 2007
- Serves 6
- Takes 25 minutes to make and about 1 hour in the oven
Surprise your Christmas guests with these delightful beetroot and goat cheese parcels – a vegetarian recipe hearty enough for meat eaters.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 33.2g (16.4g saturated)
- 38.8g (6.8g sugar)
- 400g beetroot, scrubbed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 200g baby leaf spinach, washed
- 200g goat’s cheese, crumbled
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 50g dried cranberries
- Flour, for dusting
- 500g block fresh puff pastry
- 1 egg, beaten
- Poppy seeds, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/fan170°C/ gas 5. Put the beetroot in a roasting tin, drizzle with the oil, season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and toss together. Roast for 45 minutes, turning halfway or until tender. Set aside to cool slightly, then remove the skins.
- Meanwhile, put the spinach with just the water that clings to its leaves in a large pan and cook over a gentle heat for 2-3 minutes, until wilted. Tip into a colander and, squeeze out any excess moisture. Cut the beetroot into wedges and mix in a large bowl with the spinach, cheese, onion, chilli and cranberries, and some seasoning. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, thinly roll out the pastry and cut out 6 x 15cm squares. Divide the filling between the centre of each pastry square. Brush the pastry edges with beaten egg and fold the corners over the filling, pressing to seal and form a neat parcel.
- Place seal-side down on a large baking sheet. Brush with the remaining egg and sprinkle with the poppy seeds. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until puffed up and crisp.
- Divide the beetroot and goat’s cheese parcels between serving plates, and serve with roasted new potatoes tossed with butter and chopped fresh coriander.
Freeze it: at the end of step 3, for up to 1 month. Thoroughly defrost as many beetroot parcels as you need at the time and continue with the recipe.
A really succulent, aromatic white works wonders here, so chill a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc from South Africa or Chile.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Vegetarian Christmas starter recipes
Baked camembert with honey, granola and rye crackers
This isn’t your run-of-the-mill baked camembert recipe. We’ve combined an oozy baked cheese with the...
Celeriac and apple soup with girolle mushrooms and cheesy toasts
This autumnal soup recipe uses seasonal ingredients such as celeriac, apple and mushrooms to make...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...