Braised sticky pork ribs
- February 2013
- Serves 4-6
- Hands on time 15 minutes, 6½-7½ hours to cook, plus overnight marinating
Once you’ve tried these sticky, glazed pork ribs – slow cooked in a barbecue marinade until tender and falling off the bone – you’ll be coming back to this easy recipe again and again.
For another recipe that’s just as finger-licking good, get stuck into these roast pork ribs with a sticky marmalade glaze.
- Dairy-free recipes
- 38.4g (10.8g saturated)
- 27.9g (24.9g sugars)
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tbsp black peppercorns
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 green chillies, finely chopped
- 2 star anise
- 75ml maple syrup
- 3 tbsp chipotle paste
- 3 tbsp treacle
- 1 tbsp English mustard
- 100ml apple juice
- 150ml ketchup
- 2 tbsp quince or redcurrant jelly, or a mixture of both
- 2 tsp Gentleman’s Relish
- 2kg pork belly rib rack
- In a dry frying pan, toast the fennel, cumin and coriander seeds and the peppercorns for 30 seconds. Crush coarsely in a pestle and mortar.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan, then gently fry the onion for 10 minutes. Add the crushed spices with the garlic, chillies and star anise, then cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and blend to a paste. Add the remaining ingredients (except the ribs), season with sea salt and mix well.
- Put the ribs into a large bowl, then pour over the marinade. Rub to coat, cover with cling film, then transfer to the fridge to marinate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 110°C/fan 90°C/gas ¼. Put the ribs into a roasting tray, reserving the marinade. Cover the tray with foil, then cook for 6-7 hours or until the meat is really tender and falling off the bone. Meanwhile, bubble the marinade in a small pan over a medium heat for 2-3 minutes until reduced and thickened, then use to baste the ribs regularly.
- Remove the tray from the oven and cut between the bones of the rib rack to create individual ribs. Turn up the oven temperature to 220°C/fan200°C/gas 7, then cook for 10 minutes more, turning, until sticky.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Five-minute barbecue sauce
This barbecue sauce is delicious with all meat and vegetables – and it couldn’t be...