Breakfast hash browns
- January 2019
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 20 min, cooking time 35 min
Discover our giant breakfast hash browns! Top crispy fried potatoes with eggs, bacon, avo and saffron mayo for a gratifying brunch that’s easy to make for a crowd.
- 500g floury potatoes (such as king edward or maris piper), scrubbed, peeled and cut into 3cm cubes
- 5 tbsp light olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Pinch dried thyme or 3 pinches fresh thyme leaves
- 30g unsalted butter
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 8 rashers streaky bacon
- 2 ripe avocados, halved and sliced
- Large handful coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- Large handful mixed salad leaves and cress
- Juice 1 lemon
- 4 tbsp saffron mayo, to serve (see Know-how)
- Add the potatoes to a saucepan of boiling water, bring back to the boil and simmer for 8-10 mins until tender. Drain and leave to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and cook the onions and thyme with some fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper for 6 minutes, or until browned. Leave to cool.
- Finely chop the potatoes, mix with the onions and season well with salt and pepper. Heat 1 tablespoon oil and half the butter in a 20cm frying pan over a medium heat, add the potato mixture and press down firmly with a potato masher to flatten. Cook for 15 minutes until browned, golden and crisp then carefully turn out onto a board. Heat another tablespoon of oil and the rest of the butter in the pan then gently slide the hash brown back into the pan (don’t worry if it breaks), browned-side up. Press again with the potato masher to compress slightly and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the rest of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium high heat, cook the eggs to your liking and grill/fry the bacon for around 2 minutes each side until crisp.
- Turn out the hash brown and cut into 4 wedges. Serve each with bacon, avocado, coriander, salad leaves and a squeeze of lemon juice, with mayo on the side.
You can buy saffron may from some delis. To make it yourself, soak a good pinch saffron threads in 1 tbsp hot water for 10 minutes. Stir into XXgm good quality mayonnaise.
Rate & review