Florentine spinach baked with eggs and cream
- June 2013
- Serves 4
- Takes 20 mins to make, 30 mins to cook
Spinach is baked with cream, butter and eggs in this rich but simple Italian recipe – you can’t beat eggs Florentine. Serve with really fresh ciabatta bread for dunking in the gooey yolks.
- Vegetarian recipes
- 57.8g (32.2g saturated)
- 5.6g (5.5g sugar)
- 1.2kg spinach, washed, dried, large stalks removed
- 50g butter
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 250ml double cream
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 50g finely grated parmesan
- Toasted, buttered ciabatta to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/fan 180°C/gas 6. Roughly chop the spinach if the leaves are large. Melt 10g of the butter in a large pan. Add the spinach, a large handful at a time, letting it wilt between each. When it’s all wilted, tip it into a colander and press out the excess liquid.
- Melt the remaining butter in the pan, return the spinach and stir to coat. Season with the nutmeg and salt and pepper, then set aside.
- Put the cream into a small pan over a medium-high heat and boil for about 1 minute, stirring now and then, until it has thickened slightly. Stir the cream into the spinach, then divide the mixture equally between 2 x 500ml shallow, ovenproof baking dishes (or 4 x 250ml individual ones).
- Make 2 hollows in the spinach mixture in each dish (or 1 in each individual dish) and crack in the eggs. Lightly season, then sprinkle over the parmesan. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Serve with buttered slices of toasted ciabatta.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
More food for thought...
Subscribe to our magazine
Subscribe to delicious. magazine for HALF PRICESubscribe
Join our newsletter
Packed with menu ideas, recipes, latest competitions and more...