One-pan hash potatoes with bacon, tomato and egg
- August 2007
- 800g new potatoes, scrubbed clean
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 6 rashers streaky smoked bacon, roughly snipped
- 2 ripe tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and finely chopped
- 4 large eggs
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add the potatoes and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until turning golden.
- Add the bacon to the potatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. By now the potatoes should be golden and crisp at the edges.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and toss well. Cook for a few minutes, until they begin to wilt and soften. Stir in the spring onions and season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Push the potato hash mixture to the sides of the pan, making a big circle in the centre. Add half the remaining oil to the circle, then crack in 2 eggs and fry until the whites are set and the yolks hot.
- Divide the hash between 4 plates, add the fried eggs to 2, then return the pan to the heat. Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the remaining eggs the same way. Serve with sausages, if you like.
Rate & review
Or, how about...?
Recipes with chorizo
Roast sweet potato, chorizo and onion hash with poached eggs
Eggs are a particularly filling, protein-rich food. They’re also one...
Subscribe to our magazine
Food lovers, treat yourself this Christmas... Enjoy 12 months of magazines for £29.99 – just £2.50 an issue.Subscribe
Unleash your inner chef
Looking for inspiration? Receive the latest recipes with our newsletter