Griddled chicken with white beans and rocket pesto
- August 2012
- Serves 4
- Hands-on time 10 min, cooking time 10 min
Buttery griddled chicken breasts are served on a bed of pesto-coated cannellini beans in this quick, yet satisfying midweek meal.
- Gluten-free recipes
- 25.5g (8.5g saturated)
- 23.4g (2.5g sugars)
- 4 small skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 x 400g tins mixed white beans (such as cannellini or butter beans), drained and rinsed
- 50ml vegetable stock
- 75g wild rocket
- 25g fresh parsley leaves
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 40g pecorino, grated
- 30g unsalted butter
- Place the chicken breasts between 2 pieces of cling film and, using a rolling pin, flatten until about 1.5cm thick. Rub with the 1 tbsp olive oil and season. Heat a griddle pan or frying pan over a medium-high heat and cook for 9-10 minutes, turning once.
- Meanwhile, put the beans into a medium pan and cover with the stock. Season to taste and warm gently over a medium heat for a few minutes. Drain and tip into a bowl.
- Whizz the rocket, parsley, garlic and extra-virgin olive oil to make a pesto. Stir in the cheese, season and mix with the warm beans.
- When the chicken is nearly cooked, add the butter to the pan and fry until the butter browns and gives off a nutty aroma. Remove the buttery chicken breasts, then serve with the beans, drizzled with the butter.
Next time, cut the chicken into pieces and fry in a non-stick pan until golden and cooked through. Stir the chicken, pesto and white beans through freshly cooked spaghetti, then serve with lots of grated pecorino.
Rate & review