Carrot, fruit and nut slices
- Makes 24 slices
- Hands-on time 5 min, oven time 25 min
This dairy-free recipe for carrot, fruit and nut slices couldn’t’ be easier to make and tastes just like a classic carrot cake – but lower in fat!
- Dairy-free recipes
- 5.3g fat (0.7g saturated)
- 100g dark muscovado sugar
- 75ml sunflower oil
- 100g apple sauce
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 150g carrots, grated
- 75g raisins
- 75g dried apricots, finely chopped
- Zest of 1 orange or lemon, plus 1tbsp juice
- 40g walnut pieces
- 240g self-raising flour
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 3tbsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/fan 160°C/gas 4. Grease and line a 16 x 24cm or 20cm square tin with baking paper. Mix the muscovado sugar, oil, apple sauce and eggs together in a large bowl. Stir in the carrots, raisins, apricots, orange or lemon zest and walnut pieces.
- Add the flour and cinnamon to just combine. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 25 min or until firm to the touch. Cool slightly, then turn on to a cooling rack.
- Mix the icing sugar with the orange or lemon juice to make a runny icing. Drizzle over the cake before cutting into 24 slices.
For more great recipes like this one visit our sister publication, Healthy Food Guide.
Rate & review